Wednesday, April 25, 2012

First Time Tutoring Experience

My first tutoring session was really scary because I really did not know what to expect. Before I went into class I was starting to panic and I got really pale. I really was scared to go in and tutor students because I was thinking about how I write my own papers and was not sure if I was ready to help a student with theirs. When the Professor came in I was ready to tell him that I did not have my work done in order to avoid tutoring. I decided to just regain my composure and do this and see if I could help students with their papers. When I went into the class room I was assigned to two students and when I introduced myself to them and they introduced themselves to me I stopped being so nervous and got to work. The two students that I was assigned to had two very different styles of writing. The young women who I tutored had a decent blog and knew what she was talking about. She had her thesis and had her main topics for her paragraph but thing that she was missing was to incorporate the reading into her blog. She mentioned the article only one time in her whole blog and the professor's assignment asked for evidence supporting whether or not Reality TV is bad for young viewers. As I was talking to her I told her that she needs to go back to the professors question and make sure that she answers everything the professor told her to put in her blog. This is important because she could lose major points for not putting everything she needs to into the blog. The other student had a little trouble with his topic sentence and was a little confused because he didn't really now how to summarize without taking exactly the words from the article. I helped him understand how to write his topic sentence and put down what he will write about. I am really glad I was able to overcome my fear and do what I had to do.  

2 comments:

  1. We're in E-141. What's your ETA? Students here waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete